Waste Medicine Disposal
If you have unwanted medicines, both prescription or over-the-counter drugs, don’t bin them or flush them. Get in touch with us to take advantage of the waste medicine disposal service in Leicester.
You can take your unwanted or out of date medicines back to most pharmacies for safe disposal.
Enormous quantities of unused and expired medications are dumped into bins or flushed down toilets and sinks each year. The effects on the environment and human health are unclear. Still, the evidence points to the presence of chemicals from prescriptions and over-the-counter medications in soil, drinking water, and the surrounding environment. Just as proper medication administration is essential, so is safe and cautious disposal.
Unused prescription medicines cost the NHS across the UK a lot of money every Year. It’s vital to be cautious especially when disposing of unwanted medication. You can also help by avoiding stockpiling your medication, and not share your medicines with others.
How to help
– Please let us or your GP know if you’ve stopped taking any of your medicines
– Check what medicines you still have at home before re-ordering
– Discuss your medication with your GP or Pharmacist on a regular basis
– Think carefully before ticking all the boxes on your repeat prescription forms and only tick those you really need
– If you don’t need the medicine, please don’t order it
– If you need to go into hospital, please remember to take all your medicines with you in a clearly marked bag
Unused Medicines Cannot Be Recycled
Even if you never open them, once medicines have left the pharmacy, they cannot be recycled or used by anyone else. Please send your unused medicines to our pharmacy for safe disposal. NEVER dispose of your unused or unwanted medicines down the toilet.
Contact us today for more information.